Friday, July 22, 2011
College essay #1
My MOTHER
My mother grew up in the small town of John’s Hall in Jamaica where she lived with her family and other relatives. She worked in Spanish town as a housekeeper for 13 years to support our family. While I was growing up, she always gave me good advice, which I continue to live by every day. She taught me important lessons that I hold very close to my heart. She taught me to be careful with whom I select to be friends with, because friends could put you in danger. She told me not to keep bad company, because you do not know what their intentions are, it is good to know who they really are and pay attention to what we have in common. My mother’s presence in my life was very important to me.
On October 25, 2008, my mother passed away in the hospital while giving birth to my sister, my sister died the next day on the morning of October 26, 2008. I remember waking up, my grandmother informed me she had good and bad news, the good news was my mom gave birth, and the bad news was she died while giving birth. I could not believe it, I yelled, “It’s a lie!” The next thing I remember was running out of the house and going down the road. I did not want to speak to anyone and I needed some time alone, I wanted to cool off before I went back home, When I returned, I started talking to my grandmother and heard details of how my mother died.
These days, I am glad before she died she left me a great deal of advice; her personal experiences and lessons she learned while she was growing up help me today. My mother always cared for her family and although I could not change the circumstances, I miss her very much and I wish she had never died. I miss her advice about the good and bad things in life, she taught me many good lessons regarding about making good choices instead of bad ones.
My mom has affected my life in many great ways by what she did for me. My mom played both roles in my life, mom and a dad. Her advice to go to and finish college and to get a great job in the future is something I will never forget. I want her to know I will FULFIL her wishes in the future. Eight years from now, I will be twenty-four years old, she would want me to finish college and have a great job. I plan to be a better man because that is the legacy she gave me. She has even affected the way I will be with my children. Because of her, I will share with them advice she gave me, and help them work towards their goals.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment